Friday, November 11, 2011

October Owls

I was instantly inspired by those buttons. When I found them I knew they would make perfect owl eyes. The first time I tried to buy them... they got left at the store...LAME but eventually I got my grubby hands back on them and got my craft on. I made him on 10/15.

Some friends and I decided last minute to get together on Halloween weekend. We didn't have anything in particular planned but they were going to wear costumes. I didn't have one and wasn't to worried about it at first. Then around 1am on Saturday I was all like 'dangit I want me a costume' so I started trying to find an easy DIY idea and stumbled on some owl costumes. Clearly I am obsessed with owls and the wings looked so easy. I pouted around sighing and ho-humming at Brad telling him about how I wish I could sew, and I wish I had some fabric, and blahblah emoemo I want to be an owl.

After a couple of hours of whining/brainstorming and most importantly taking an Adderall I decide to go go for it. I gathered up a raggedy bed sheet, pillow cases, and a couple of shirts that I was willing to sacrifice. I tried to sketch out wing patterns on paper bags but that junk didn't work so I just started hacking at the sheet and surprisingly didn't destroy it.

Next I cut out 8 million "feathers". That mess took forever. When I finally got them all cut out I came to a huge dead end. I was planning on using this little hand held sewing machine. Brad spent like 30 minutes elaborately spooling it all together with the bobbins and doodads and then it just didn't even work. Even if it did work after looking at it I saw there is no possible way I would have been able to use it; it was so small and there would not have been a place for all the fabric to hang out while I did my thing. ANYWAY, I was just getting really... just kinda TO'd as Kip would say.. All that freakin work for nothing.

After huffing and puffing and grumbling to the max I decided to hand sew it. That did NOT work. I was about give up ad go to bed when I remembered I had some tacky craft glue. That is when the nightmare truly began. That glue is evil. Sure in the end it worked and not one "feather" fell off. BUT IT WAS EVIL. It wouldn't hardly come out. I had to squeeze with all my might. It took hours and my hands hurt for about 3 days. I don't know if it was the Adderall or sheer determination but I suffered through the pain and exhaustion and after 12 hours finally finished. Mercy me, blood, sweat, and tears went into that ghettofab owl costume.

I am very absent minded and I just set things down without paying attention and eventually find it in some totally random place. So...I tend to lose needles which makes Brad very nervous because we wouldn't want them to end up in the floor poking cat toes. I was in the bedroom working(making a huge mess) so I put the needle on the night stand specifically to NOT loose it. It even had a really long piece of thread tied to it which should have make it easier to locate......but it was no where to be found. It just disappeared. So about 8 days later I am in the bed and something scratches my leg. I thought it was a feather form one of the pillows, uh no, IT IS THE NEEDLE imbedded into the comforter. Needle-less to say Brad wasn't happy about sleeping with a needle for the past week. HAH

Pics or it didn't happen!











No comments:

Post a Comment